[asterisk-users] PCI, PCI-X and PCI-e -- Server / Interface Card Selection

Andrew D Kirch trelane at trelane.net
Sat Dec 9 17:27:37 MST 2006

Ex Vitorino wrote:
> Hello List,
>

> The main issue is server selection regarding PCI bus connectivity
> for Asterisk solutions. Most offerings on HP Proliants, something
> I've been looking into, include PCI-X and/or PCI-e expansion slots.
>
> I know PCI-e is totally different from PCI and PCI-X so, for now,
> that's not an issue.
>

> However, regarding PCI and PCI-X, and after googling for a while
> and checking wikipedia and whatnot, I'm still not clear on my main
> issue:
>
> Can one use a PCI interface card in a PCI-X slot ? If so, under what
> conditions ? (ex: 3.3v cards only ? PCI-X bus speed is brought down ?
> what ?)
>
> The objective would be to use Digium's echo cancelling PRI and BRI
> cards and/or beroNet's BRI cards on, for example, a Proliant ML350 G4
> or G5 containing PCI-X slots -- would such combination be technically
> feasible ?
>
> If not, where are you guys getting servers for your PCI based solutions ?
>

> Can anyone shed some light into my doubts ? Pointers, documentation,
> experiences ?
>

> The second, kind of "attatched" issue, is associated to the growing
> PCI-e buses in the current servers. I know Sangoma already has
> a PRI card for PCI-e. What about Digium ? Other PRI, BRI manufacturers ?
>

> Thanks in advance and regards to all,
> --
> Ex Vito
The rule of thumb is "if it fits you can use it" unless it doesn't work,
there are few that won't (Creative's soundcards being an example of ones
that don't)

--
Andrew D Kirch  |       Abusive Hosts Blocking List      | www.ahbl.org
Security Admin  |  Summit Open Source Development Group  | www.sosdg.org