[asterisk-users] Tracing audio problems

Avi Miller amiller at squiz.net
Mon Aug 28 03:31:01 MST 2006

On Mon, August 28, 2006 8:10 pm, Rich Adamson said:
> Is this a new installation, or, were the boxes working okay for a while
> and they just now started having problems?

Its not a new installation: Calls have been fine for at least a month on
one server and about 4 months on another. Both servers are in our head
offices (two separate offices seperated by a 100mbit wifi link, each with
their own Asterisk box and ISDN PRI).

> parameter wasn't right. Check /etc/zaptel.conf for:
>   span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs

I'm in Australia with EuroISDN, so I have this:

span=1,1,0,ccs,hdb3,crc4

> Are the poor audio calls always associated with one site (head office)?

One location (our Sydney offices), two sites, two different servers both
experiencing the same problem. I suspected an ISDN issue, as they use the
same ISDN provider, but my provider assures me (yeah, I know) that there
are no faults on either line.

> What does 'zap show status' indicate at those sites that have bad audio?

Server 1:
getafix*CLI> zap show status
Description                              Alarms     IRQ        bpviol
CRC4
wanpipe1 card 0                          OK         0          0          0
Wildcard TDM400P REV I Board 1           OK         0          0          0

Server 2:
rincewind*CLI> zap show status
Description                              Alarms     IRQ        bpviol
CRC4
wanpipe1 card 0                          OK         0          0          0

These are with no calls in progress though, so I'll try it again during
the day tomorrow to see if anything changes.

> Do you have iax links to these sites as well, and if so, are you having
> the same audio problem with them?

Yes I do, and yes I am. I have IAX2 links from each server to each other
server (5 in total), so there are four IAX2 trunks configured on each box.
They used to use g729, but I switched them all to alaw to see if
transcoding was causing the issues. I'm told it persists, but I'll know
more tomorrow as I expect I'll be on the phone a lot to the other offices.

> What type of phones are you using to initiate the calls with bad audio
> (sip phones or what)?

All our phones nationally are Polycom IP501 phones. The branches now use
the SIP1.6 code, but I suspect the head office phones may still be on 1.5.

cYa,
Avi

--
National Manager - Special Projects

< Sydney / Melbourne / Canberra / Hobart / London />
   2/340 Gore Street      T: 1 3000 SQUIZ (77849)
   Fitzroy, VIC           T: +61 (0) 3 9235 5400
   3065                   F: +61 (0) 3 9235 5444
                          W: http://www.squiz.net/

.....>> Open Source  - Own it  -  Squiz.net ...../>