[asterisk-users] Tracing audio problems

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Aug 28 03:10:55 MST 2006

Avi Miller wrote:
>> Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look next? My users are
>> getting increasingly annoyed and I'm quickly running out of ideas.
>
> Replying to myself to note that this is now happening on outbound calls
> via ISDN, i.e. calls that don't use IAX2 or the inter-office network. It
> also happens on inbound calls.

Is this a new installation, or, were the boxes working okay for a while
and they just now started having problems?

Based on your comments that poor audio seems to only be occurring on the
isdn calls, it would almost sound like the T1/E1 card's clock sync
parameter wasn't right. Check /etc/zaptel.conf for:
  span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs
where the second "1" indicates this particular span is to be used for
syncing the on-board clock. (I don't use sangoma's T1/E1 card, so not
sure if /etc/zaptel.conf it the right place.)

Are the poor audio calls always associated with one site (head office)?

What does 'zap show status' indicate at those sites that have bad audio?

Do you have iax links to these sites as well, and if so, are you having
the same audio problem with them?

What type of phones are you using to initiate the calls with bad audio
(sip phones or what)?