[asterisk-users] Linksys SPA-3102

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Aug 18 22:12:30 MST 2006

Barry D. Hassler wrote:
> Any further experience with the 3102? I'm looking for a solution to
> connect 2 CO lines and a set of 2-line phones to my asterisk server
> (along with a bunch of SIP phones). Would 2 of these work well for that?
>
> Hopefully no echo problems! That would kill this project? I'm still
> searching for one peice of hardware that would have 2 FXO and 2 FXO
> ports on it, but haven't stumbled on it yet....

The only way to know for sure whether the spa will provide reasonable
service is to try it on the actual pstn line to be used. There is no
other way for anyone to tell you anything different. The quality of the
audio & echo is 100% dependent on the exact pstn line characteristics, etc.

Two other reasonable alternatives are:
Digium TDM card with two fxo and two fxs modules.
Sangoma A200d card with one fxo module (has two lines on it) and one fxs
module (has two lines on it).

The only way to know for sure whether the TDM card will provide
reasonable service is to try it on the actual pstn lines, just exactly
like the spa box. Same issues as the spa; some pstn lines work fine,
others have echo that nags users.

The Sangoma card with h/w echo canceler just plain works, but is
probably the more expensive of the alternatives.

The Mediatrix 1204 seems to have excellent echo characteristics, but it
is likely the most expensive approach for small systems.