[asterisk-users] Abstraction for a newbie

Austin Denyer adenyer at ekn.com
Tue Aug 15 04:24:14 MST 2006

Dominic Son wrote:
> Hi. Can someone explain to a right brained person what is going on with
> In/out bound trunks, how it connects to my Trixbox..
>
> 1. i get issued a free NY phone number from a voip service like
> stanaphone .
>
> 2. i then call this number, it connects to the stanaphone voicemail
> 3. i turn off the voicemail because i want it to connect to my Askterisk,
> I've set up all the trunks in the PBX setup, ( sip.stanaphone, etc)
> 4. now i call my NY number, and it says 'this phone is not in service,
> please check the number and dial again'
>
> my Q: how does this work, more specifically, if i turned off the VM, how
> does stanaphone then know to look for my asterisk server to use the
> trixbox?

I had a similar problem.  Turned out the extension was not correctly
configured.  If you check the console with asterisk -r and run with
debug/verbosity up around 5 you will see that the call is hitting your
asterisk box, but asterisk doesn't know what to do with it.

Make sure the extension is correctly configured in extensions.conf,
reload and try again.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Austin.