[asterisk-users] Abstraction for a newbie

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC mojo at horanappraisals.com
Tue Aug 15 16:43:26 MST 2006

Generally, the turn off voicemail function you used tells the provider
*what to do when they can't get ahold of your asterisk* -- this doesn't
typically mean 'send all calls to my voicemail until I turn this feature
off'   All calls should attempt to contact your asterisk server (or at
least check if it's registered recently) before sending the caller to
voicemail.  As Mike pointed out in another post, this issue is almost
certainly either with your sip.conf or your firewall config.

Moj

Dominic Son wrote:
> Hi. Can someone explain to a right brained person what is going on with
> In/out bound trunks, how it connects to my Trixbox..
>
> 1. i get issued a free NY phone number from a voip service like
> stanaphone .
> 2. i then call this number, it connects to the stanaphone voicemail
> 3. i turn off the voicemail because i want it to connect to my
> Askterisk, I've set up all the trunks in the PBX setup, (
> sip.stanaphone, etc)
> 4. now i call my NY number, and it says 'this phone is not in service,
> please check the number and dial again'
>
> my Q: how does this work, more specifically, if i turned off the VM, how
> does stanaphone then know to look for my asterisk server to use the trixbox?
>
> --
> Anything else, let me know.
>
> !DSPAM:500,44dd080a25292693510148!

> !DSPAM:500,44dd080a25292693510148!