[asterisk-users] 911 Testing

Leif Neland leifn at neland.dk
Sun Aug 13 06:14:25 MST 2006

Rich Adamson wrote:
> Dovid Bender wrote:
>> Good Morning List,
>> When setting up a pbx and you want to test your 911 settings do you
>> call 911 and tell them its a test call or do you relly that you set
>> it up properly and hope for the best when some one call's 911 ?
>
> I believe most 911 centers would prefer you call their non-emergency
> number before testing to let them know what you're about to do. They
> may suggest a less busy time to do the tests, etc.
>
> I know a lot of installers that just dial 911 without any previous
> contact and I don't recall any of them getting chewed out for doing
> it. Guess if you keep the conversation short its less likely to be a
> bother.

According to what I've read somewhere, at least our 911 (112) has an
answering machine, saying "Alarm central, one moment" and a few seconds
delay, before the call actually is signaled to the dispatcher, to filter out
misdials and crank calls.

So if you hang up quickly, they'll never know or be bothered.

Leif