[asterisk-users] 911 Testing

Shane Young asterisk2 at shaneyoung.com
Sun Aug 13 09:22:51 MST 2006

Quoting Leif Neland <leifn at neland.dk>:

> According to what I've read somewhere, at least our 911 (112) has an
> answering machine, saying "Alarm central, one moment" and a few seconds
> delay, before the call actually is signaled to the dispatcher, to filter out
> misdials and crank calls.
>
> So if you hang up quickly, they'll never know or be bothered.

In Minnesota (probably most places in the US) Once you have dialed 911, even if it was in error, you
should stay on the line until a dispatcher answers.  If you don't they'll consider it a "911 hangup"
and attempt to call you back.  If they can not reach you, they will dispatch a law enforcement
officer (and in some areas, other emergency services).

The usual call flow I've experianced is this:

I Dial 911
They answer "Minneapolis 911"
I say "This is Shane from company xxxxx making a 911 test call."
They will either say "ok" or "Please Hold" if they have other calls waiting.
Once they have said "ok", I'll say "I want to confirm you see my number as xxx-xxx-xxxx and my
address is yyyyy"
They will almost always say "Yes, that's what we have"
I'll say "Thank you"
They will say "Good Bye" and hang up.
I'll hang up.

--Shane