[asterisk-users] RE VoipNow 1.2.0 Beta

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Aug 8 04:49:11 MST 2006

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Matthew Warren wrote:

> Yes it is an addon of Plesk, thats stating the obvious.  But while your
> complaining about people writing stuff to use what are you doing.  If your
> not a developer don't critisize the developers.  I see nothing more than you
> displaying that you are the Vice President of a 2 man consulting firm.
> Which means you have to sell other peoples developed products.

Wow. Such hostility. Some corrections.

1. I am using a variety of customer built and off the shelf products, both
stuff that I've written, commissioned to have written and/or purchased
from companies such as PBXware, Switchvox, VoiceRoute etc. My customer's
needs drive my decisions as to what should be deployed, not a religious
fervor. However, my customers also pay me to make solid decisions on
technology based on my (considerable) experience in the field.

2. N2Net, of which I an the Vice President, started 11 years ago as a 1
man consulting company. We are quite a bit larger now, but that isn't
important. What is important is that you haven't even taken the time to
verify who you are talking to, and/or what their credentials are. Bad
move on your part, and probably not the smartest thing to fire off to a
list such as this. I'll chalk it up to a mistake on your part. A google
search of your name and the term Asterisk doesn't show a whole lot. You
might consider doing the same with my name "Gregory Boehnlein Asterisk" to
see what comes up.

> Not to mention you are being critical of plesk, yet you use to host you
> websites for your business.

Yes.. I host several thousand websites with PLESK, and as such am quite
well positioned to voice an opinion about their software and
methodologies. As far as Web control panels go, they are the best in the
industry, but the industry has pretty low standards. I dislike PLESK for a
variety of reasons and personally see that someone using it as a basis for
a Web UI for Asterisk is trying to push a square peg through a round hole.

That doesn't mean that VoipNow sucks, just means that I'll probably not
use it or reccomend it to my clients because I think the architecture
and design are fudamentally flawed, and it's my reputation on the line.

However, if someone asked me for a reccomendation on a Control Panel
software for Web Hosting, I would have no hesitations reccomending PLESK
to them, provided they understand the limitations of the platform.

> Dude, we all have opinions, like crapholes they
> all stink, your's just stood out.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and you have every right to
have your own. I don't agree with it, but I'm not going to resort to
childish insults and petty comments.

                             KP-216-121-ST