[asterisk-users] Hotels...

Brian Vincent (C) VincentB at coppercolorado.com
Mon Aug 7 11:12:50 MST 2006

Ideally you'd get billing to work by integrating directly with the
property management software.  Most of the big PMS systems, such as SMS,
LMS, and FRS, have custom serial drivers written for them that interface
with the PBX and related systems.  The PMS software is responsible for
activating long distance on the phones, adding/removing voicemail boxes,
and collecting billing records.  It may also do really complicated
things like suiting.

I don't think you're going to be able to get any of that.  For that
reason alone, are you sure Asterisk is the right solution?  Maybe a
little Mitel system would work with their software?

Okay, now assuming you have a nice GUI to rebuild mailboxes, you'll have
to decide if it's worth restricting/unrestricting phones for long
distance. Keep in mind housekeeping staff may like to make international
phone calls.  It may be easier to just sell calling cards and open up
the lines for free local calls (usually local calls incur a surcharge of
$1 - $1.50.)

Are there conference facilities involved?  Do you need special pricing
for provisioning lines there?  I like the idea of using those Audiocodes
boxes, but will fax services work with them?  In theory I think they do,
but we've had problems passing data over them.  Can the Audiocodes boxes
drive message waiting lamps?  I can't remember, but you'll need that.
Wake up calls?  Asterisk supports it (Trixbox has a nice
implementation), so be sure to test that.  Is this a multiproperty hotel
and will you need to support 911 to different buildings?

Brian Vincent
Copper Mountain Telecom
vincentb at coppercolorado.com