[Asterisk-Users] Touch tone recognition issues

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Tue Apr 25 17:21:06 MST 2006

Bryan Mahin wrote:

> I’m experiencing touch tone recognition issues when calling some
> outside phone systems. For instance, if I call my Nextel phone, and
> try to press * to enter my voicemail, Nextel’s system does not “hear”
> the DTMF tone. I’ve also experienced other outside phone systems for
> which I am unable to use their touch tone menus. Oddly, this isn’t the
> case with all outside systems. If I call Dell, everything works great.
>
> Is this a known issue with asterisk? I’m hope there is a simple
> setting I’ve over looked.
>
> All help is appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bryan Mahin

Sounds like a common problem solved 20 years ago in the telephone
industry, when tones were generated by a common sender and the engineer
didn't read the standards and made tone duration too short.
Asterisk is probably right on that edge and the tone duration needs to
be somewhat longer. 75mS is probably as short as it should be, better 100 mS
Of course, you didn't say much about your call routing and if Asterisk
or something else is really generating the tones, so that is just a guess

John Novack