[Asterisk-Users] some EICON Diva 4BRI questions

Armin Schindler armin at melware.de
Fri Apr 21 12:15:52 MST 2006

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Olivier Krief wrote:
> To benefit from DIVA Server 4BRI fax hardware capabilities, what is the best
> software combination ? Asterisk and Hylafax ?

You can use any combination of CAPI based software in parallel. You just
need to create the rules for which application shall act on which
number/service.

> Shall we then allocate destination numbers and or ports for each of those 2
> applications ?

That depends on what you want to do. On incoming calls, each application
gets the information about destination number and bearer-capability
(service). If you can separate your services with these information, then
all is fine. Just configure the applications not to act on the others
numbers/services.
For Fax and Voice on the same number it is not possible, because the
bearer-capability may be the same. So one application to handle both
is needed.
This can be done with Asterisk/chan-capi. Receiving fax (via CAPI without
spandsp) is a feature supported chan-capi if the isdn driver supports it.

> And if you want to offer to every user, a unique extension for fax and
> voice, would it still be possible to forward calls from voice application to
> fax application (for outgoing faxes, the fax application can use its own
> ressources) ?

Outgoing is not a problem, just make sure that one application won't use too
many channels and block other appliactions...

Having a unique fax extension for each user can be done with
Asterisk/chan-capi allone and with another fax-software like Hylafax as
well.
But if you want to forward a call (which was already accepted by Asterisk)
to another CAPI application, it is not possible. (Well, Eicon has a special
driver which can do a lot of CAPI extensions, but I did not try this yet).
So if you want to do that, I suggest using just chan-capi for receiving
faxes and maybe another application for sending faxes.

Armin