[Asterisk-Users] CallerID

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Sun Apr 9 10:48:18 MST 2006

Jay Milk wrote:
> [...]
> cid-rewrite.
> Nobody at all contacted me about reverse lookup not working, and since
> the script has published was "in production" here for over a month as
> well as on many other servers, I have to question the validity of that
> claim.
>
> My comments about spelling and commercial use are very productive.
> Much unlike you seem to, I take pride in the work I do, and being
> associated with something so poorly written as your changes to the
> readme is an embarrassment to both of parties.  Additionally,
> programming is a very exact process, and the quality of your
> documentation betrays your ability.  I do maintain that you are in
> fact misleading potential downloaders on the origin of the script.
> You have removed contact information and effectively taken credit for
> this work.
> You furthermore are offering paid support, which qualifies as
> "commercial use" and you have neither asked for nor been granted
> permission for commercial use of my intellectual property.
>
> Expect no help or cooperation from me in integrating your changes --
> your changes are hacks at best, and a far cry from the properly
> architected changes I have planned and partially integrated in my
> production script.
>
> In the meantime, either remove the download of this bastardized script
> from your site, or add full contact information back into the readme
> file and offer FREE support for it.  Please comply within 72 hours of
> receipt of this message.
>
> Regards,
> -- Jay Milk
>
> Technical Support wrote:
>> Jay,
>>
>> I contacted you many times regarding the script, whether you planned to
>> update it, suggestions for features, etc.  You did not respond to any
>> of my
>> later emails.  Similarly, there was discussion between list members
>> regarding whether this script was orphaned after changes to 411.com
>> made the
>> reverse lookup non-functional - for a long time.  I assumed
>> responsibility
>> for updating the script as a courtesy to Asterisk users.
>>
>> Your comments about spelling, resale, etc. are abrasive,
>> unproductive, and
>> misleading.  Not only is the script available without charge on the web
>> site, credit to you remains with the script - in fact even the
>> download link
>> of the web site gives you credit!  And of course, why would I update the
>> script and then encourage users to download an older version from
>> another
>> site?
>>
>> If you have time to dedicate to the cid_rewrite project terrific - I
>> would
>> rather see one stream benefit all users.  Let's work to integrate
>> changes
>> going forward.  If you would prefer not to, I would be pleased to

I have no idea what the issues here are, nor do I care but I do have a
question about this statement "Since you are selling support for this
script, that qualifies as commercial
use and is expressly prohibited by the micro-license included in the
original script."  Is this an accurate statement?  Don't alot of firms
provide support for opensource software?  I thought it was only
considered commercial use if it is sold as a product and source was not
supplied.  I have not read the microlicense but couldnt Microsoft
include such a microlicense and prevent any other firms from supporting
MS products?

Thanks,
Steve