[Asterisk-Users] CallerID

Jay Milk ast-users at skimmilk.net
Sun Apr 9 23:56:24 MST 2006

Steve Totaro wrote:
> I have no idea what the issues here are, nor do I care but I do have a
> question about this statement "Since you are selling support for this
> script, that qualifies as commercial
> use and is expressly prohibited by the micro-license included in the
> original script."  Is this an accurate statement?  Don't alot of firms
> provide support for opensource software?  I thought it was only
> considered commercial use if it is sold as a product and source was
> not supplied.  I have not read the microlicense but couldnt Microsoft
> include such a microlicense and prevent any other firms from
> supporting MS products?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
Under "normal" circumstances, you would be perfectly right.  The concern
here is that this is open-source that was intentionally or ignorantly
dis-credited and modified, possibly broken.  For this modified/broken
script, this dishonest company now offers paid support.  This would
classify as commercial (ab-) use -- it's akin to distributing asterisk
as your own, without giving credit to Digium or Mark Spencer, and thus
intentionally closing other, unpaid,  support venues.

The possibility that OCG/Generation D may have broken the script in an
attempt to "fix" an error that wasn't there, calls into question the
good intentions they claim.  The further fact that the "many times" I
was allegedly contacted turned out to be a single
"how-about-this-feature?" email, solidifies my conviction that
profiteering was their first and only intention.  This was -- and, hey,
OCG listen! -- *IS* specifically forbidden regarding this script.