[Asterisk-Users] Compatible Asterisk Connectivity Cards : Sangoma

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Tue Apr 4 10:27:03 MST 2006

Jim Hanlon wrote:

>I used the Sangoma S518 card in an IBM x-series server, replacing a telco supplied ADSL modem/router. It is obviously more expensive
>than the mass-produced product, a 2-Wire unit. On the other hand, it is well-constructed, and it did a good job in initially
>connecting to the network. As for performance, it offers a definite benefit in response time. With the external router, I was seeing
>11-12 mSec pings to a university server a couple of miles away. That's very good. But with the S518, I am getting 7-8 mSec ping
>times. Quite a relative improvement. And with the server's freed-up 100BaseT port, I gained a DMZ possibility--another win.
>Digium offers nothing comparable, so I can't comment on the relative merits of their hardware.
>
>Jim Hanlon

Recently got an A200 with 2 FXS and 2FXO cards working  with a
motherboard that claimed to be PCI 2.2, but would not see a TDM400 card,
so it was set aside. Digium's answer was "try another Motherboard, there
can't be anything wrong with our card" !!
The A200 works, and works well.
As a less than novice with Linux, I found the installation instructions
on their site less than optimal, but finally got it all working.
Discovered and reported a defect in their driver associated with pulse
dial on the FXS. It DID take them some time to respond to E-mail, but
once it went to engineering they came back with a fix in 2 days.
For me, the A200 is a better solution.

John Novack