[Asterisk-Users] Compatible Asterisk Connectivity Cards : Sangoma

Jim Hanlon Jim_Hanlon at mverify.com
Tue Apr 4 09:29:48 MST 2006

I used the Sangoma S518 card in an IBM x-series server, replacing a telco supplied ADSL modem/router. It is obviously more expensive
than the mass-produced product, a 2-Wire unit. On the other hand, it is well-constructed, and it did a good job in initially
connecting to the network. As for performance, it offers a definite benefit in response time. With the external router, I was seeing
11-12 mSec pings to a university server a couple of miles away. That's very good. But with the S518, I am getting 7-8 mSec ping
times. Quite a relative improvement. And with the server's freed-up 100BaseT port, I gained a DMZ possibility--another win.
Digium offers nothing comparable, so I can't comment on the relative merits of their hardware.

Jim Hanlon