[Asterisk-Users] 1.2.6 doesn't use mpg123?

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Tue Apr 4 09:02:34 MST 2006

 >Matt,
 >
 >Before switching our system from the rawplayer method to native MOH, I
 >consulted Kevin Fleming.  He said the impact on the system would be "not
 >much, more memory usage though."
 ><http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2006-February/141180.html>
 >
 >Right now we have seventy calls waiting in queues (all with native MOH)
 >and 120 calls connected to agents.  The box is jumping between 50%-60%
 >idle.  "ps auxm" shows 241 threads for Asterisk, but none of them take
 >more than 0.8% CPU.
 >
 >Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing an option that allowed native MOH to
 >pull from a single thread for each class.  It would probably yield lower
 >CPU utilization, but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to
 >implement.  If enough people are interested in this feature, it should
 >be submitted through Mantis as a feature request.
 >
 >Matthew Roth
 >InterMedia Marketing Solutions
 >Software Engineer and Systems Developer
 >
 >> Lee Archer wrote:
 >>
 >> What's the spec of the box?
 >>
 >> Lee

Lee,

Check this post
<http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2005-October/120930.html>
under "Hardware Profiles".  Note that while the CPUs are capable of
hyperthreading, we have turned it off in the BIOS.  In general, the
document needs updated when time allows it but the hardware hasn't
changed.  That post also documents part of our overall architecture for
vertical scalability: offloading digital recording resource utilization
via a RAM disk and a dedicated machine for mixing and storing the
recordings.

We also offload all reporting activity by replicating the queue_log to a
separate box, using a Cisco AS5400 to terminate our Ts, and performing
absolutely no DSP, codec transcoding, or protocol conversions on the
Asterisk server itself.  Our calls are all SIP-to-SIP, uLaw, and
recorded in PCM format.  We use native MOH and PCM format announcements.

When things settle down, I'll share our implementation details with the
list.