[Asterisk-Users] 1.2.6 doesn't use mpg123?

Lee Archer lee.archer at pentagon-systems.com
Tue Apr 4 00:10:53 MST 2006

What's the spec of the box?

Lee

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Matt Roth
Sent: 03 April 2006 18:48
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] 1.2.6 doesn't use mpg123?

Matt wrote:

>Ok.. see it... so now my question is....  which should I use?
>Obviously a hold system using ulaw for hold files is going to use less
>CPU, but is it more stable to have Asterisk playing the sound files?
>Especially since it has to start a seperate stream for every on hold
>person?  Seems like in a busy call center.. it would be more efficient
>to have 1 stream going to every caller, rather then multiple streams.

Matt,

Before switching our system from the rawplayer method to native MOH, I
consulted Kevin Fleming.  He said the impact on the system would be "not
much, more memory usage though."
<http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2006-February/141180.h
tml>

Right now we have seventy calls waiting in queues (all with native MOH)
and 120 calls connected to agents.  The box is jumping between 50%-60%
idle.  "ps auxm" shows 241 threads for Asterisk, but none of them take
more than 0.8% CPU.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing an option that allowed native MOH to
pull from a single thread for each class.  It would probably yield lower
CPU utilization, but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to
implement.  If enough people are interested in this feature, it should
be submitted through Mantis as a feature request.

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer