[Asterisk-Users] mpg123 alternative?

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Thu Feb 23 12:47:54 MST 2006

Soner Tari wrote:

> I vote for the raw file format, due to the reasons listed here:
> http://www.orderlyq.com/asteriskqueues.html
>
> Of course you need to convert all mp3 moh files to raw format
> manually, but it's easy as described there.

We were using the rawplayer method on our server, but it ended up
spawning hundreds of zombie processes.  I talked to Kevin Fleming about
it, and he recommended switching to native MOH.  Scalability is a big
concern of mine, so I asked him about the impact it would have on CPU,
memory, and disk utilization.  His response was, "not much, more memory
usage though."  I could spare the memory, so I gave it a shot.

So far, I'm very impressed.  It eliminated the zombie processes
completely and the quality of the playback is *much* better.

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer