[Asterisk-Users] TDM400P Dialing Out - "Cannot be completed as dialed"

Barry King barry at kingcomputersolutions.com
Mon Sep 19 16:08:51 MST 2005

John Novack wrote:

>>though I'm also guessing that a lack of dialtone detection is causing my troubles.
>>
> And there seems to be no willingness to either fix or even consider it
> a bug.

>>  I'm not sure how I'm going to listen in, either.  The only thing I can think of is making myself a "lineman's handset" out of an old phone and plugging into the phone box outside.
>>
> Not sure why you need to "go outside" to listen in. a simple 268 style
> "t" adapter for modular plugs would do. I assume you are in the US .

Oh, hello.  Yeah, that would work.

>> I'm worried that plugging the FXO jack into the
>>ComDial system would fry something,
>>
> Can't imagine what. The FXO card in it's simplest form, the X100P is a
> recycled modem card using a specific chip set.
> How would you use a Comdial system to monitor anyway?

I'm presuming that some of the pairs in the phone line are powered,
since the comdial phones do a lot of tricks and aren't plugged into the
electrical outlet.  I'm concerned that this might fry something.

How to monitor?  The old phones are still hooked up until I work out all
the bugs in the new system, so I'd pick up line 1 with the phone and
then dial with asterisk.  Or dial first and then pick up.  *shrug*

>>and that's the only other way I can
>>think of to listen in, aside from maybe running the line through a fax machine.
>>

> You will want to be able to listen without starting dialtone.
>
> Any old telephone butt set or even a cheap battery powered transistor
> amplifier  would do as well.

Yeah, I've got a handset that will work, just no T connector.  I'll have
to run by Radio Shack.

>>Unless there's some software that does it.
>>
>>On the dialtone detection end of things,
>>http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=NVLineDetect
>>does seem to be available, but that would require me modifying emailing the guy and either going with cvs or modifying the gentoo ebuild I'm using (bleh).
>>

> If that will give you dialtone detection, that's probably what you
> will have to do then!

Yep.  blah.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,