[Asterisk-Users] TDM400P Dialing Out - "Cannot be completed as dialed"

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Mon Sep 19 15:25:08 MST 2005

Barry King wrote:

>"w" doesn't seem to make a difference,

That has been my experience, though I am using pulsedial
There seems to be some undocumented differences between versions and
flavors of Asterisk that are not yet known.

>though I'm also guessing that a lack of dialtone detection is causing my troubles.

And there seems to be no willingness to either fix or even consider it a
bug.

>  I'm not sure how I'm going to listen in, either.  The only thing I can think of is making myself a "lineman's handset" out of an old phone and plugging into the phone box outside.

Not sure why you need to "go outside" to listen in. a simple 268 style
"t" adapter for modular plugs would do. I assume you are in the US .

> I'm worried that plugging the FXO jack into the
>ComDial system would fry something,

Can't imagine what. The FXO card in it's simplest form, the X100P is a
recycled modem card using a specific chip set.
How would you use a Comdial system to monitor anyway?

>and that's the only other way I can
>think of to listen in, aside from maybe running the line through a fax machine.

You will want to be able to listen without starting dialtone.

Any old telephone butt set or even a cheap battery powered transistor
amplifier  would do as well.

>Unless there's some software that does it.
>
>On the dialtone detection end of things,
>http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=NVLineDetect
>does seem to be available, but that would require me modifying emailing the guy and either going with cvs or modifying the gentoo ebuild I'm using (bleh).

If that will give you dialtone detection, that's probably what you will
have to do then!

>What is NANP?

North American Numbering Plan

JN