[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 1.0.9 long term stability <--thread hijack, why not reboot?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Thu Sep 15 10:29:25 MST 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 10:04:15AM -0600, Colin Anderson wrote:
> Great comments everyone thanks and thanks for not flaming me.
>
> >Rebooting indicates that there is a problem that needs to be addressed.  It
>
> >has nothing to do with uptime wars but with reliability and stability.  I
> >don't care if the system's down for 3 minutes due to reboot, I am concerned
>
> >that there is an underlying issue that you're merely masking by rebooting.
>
> In my case, I have the TDM04 static problem and that is the sole reason why
> I reboot.
> Granted, I'm running 1.0-stable and I understand it's fixed in -head or 1.2
> or whatever
> but I don't want to go through the grief of upgrading to fix it and find out
> that other issues are introduced.

Could you point to a specific issue? Any chance it could be backported
to 1.0? This will mean less griff.

> A lot of guys say "upgrade, upgrade it's
> way better" but then I read posts like the gentleman this morning who has
> his console going crazy when he upgraded. My plan is to wait out the rest
> of the year until 1.2 has a few months under it's belt then upgrade (hey,
> isn't today the release day?).
> Until then, reboot to me is a perfectly acceptable alternative and it does
> not impact business operations one whit. You may feel differently, and yes,
> I concede that I am masking an underlying problem,
> but I am comfortable with it, my Asterisk server does not care, and it's
> transparent to my users,so why not?

When do you reboot? every day?

This is assuming that the problem hits you randomly, you will rebooot
some time after the problem has begun. e.g: there is a resonable chance
that around half of the time the problem will exist. The more frequent
the reboots are the less chances (but not 0%) are for "bad voice", but
more time your PBX is unavailble.