[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 1.0.9 long term stability <--thread hijack, why not reboot?

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Thu Sep 15 09:04:15 MST 2005

Great comments everyone thanks and thanks for not flaming me.

>Rebooting indicates that there is a problem that needs to be addressed.  It

>has nothing to do with uptime wars but with reliability and stability.  I
>don't care if the system's down for 3 minutes due to reboot, I am concerned

>that there is an underlying issue that you're merely masking by rebooting.

In my case, I have the TDM04 static problem and that is the sole reason why
I reboot.
Granted, I'm running 1.0-stable and I understand it's fixed in -head or 1.2
or whatever
but I don't want to go through the grief of upgrading to fix it and find out
that other issues are introduced. A lot of guys say "upgrade, upgrade it's
way better" but then I read posts like the gentleman this morning who has
his console going crazy when he upgraded. My plan is to wait out the rest
of the year until 1.2 has a few months under it's belt then upgrade (hey,
isn't today the release day?).
Until then, reboot to me is a perfectly acceptable alternative and it does
not impact business operations one whit. You may feel differently, and yes,
I concede that I am masking an underlying problem,
but I am comfortable with it, my Asterisk server does not care, and it's
transparent to my users,so why not?

>Would you accept the need for a weekly reboot of your Nortel Option 11?
How
>about if your car required you to remove the battery for two minutes once a

>month?  Your VCR?  How about a clock radio that had to be unplugged once a
>week to fix weird little issues?

See above. Yes I would accept it, provided that it would not impact normal
operation and
I as the administrator *or* enduser would not have to do anything special.
However, *this*
makes my sphincter shrink:

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/07/22/0615221.shtml?tid=126

Obviously, that's no good. Best comment:

RH support: Thanks for calling Red Hat! How may we help you?
Pilot: "Uhh.. I'm spiraling towards the earth, both my engines are out, and
my display says 'kernel panic' in white text on a black background."
RH Support: "And what is the system model?"
Pilot: "The F-22 jet.."
RH support: If you read linux-kernel-bugtraq, you will see that you should
have patched your kernel to 2.4.19-pre-alpha-revision-d before takeoff. But
no problem, this is Linux after all. Do you have another F22 on your LAN?
Just telnet in from there, su to root and restart sendmail.
Pilot: @#$*! Redhat! I'm switching to Debian if I survive!

>Hmm, I guess I won't be buying any Mitel equipment.

Please don't. They are evil. Not so much the equipment but the corporate
philosophy is something
along the lines of "We're gonna hose our endusers more than any other
telecom manufacturer"