[Asterisk-Users] Comfort Noise Generation with Zap-IAX

Henry Jensen jensen at scan-plus.de
Thu Sep 15 08:57:23 MST 2005

Hello,

we have a small Asterisk Network where Siemens PBX's are connected via PRI (Zap) to an Asterisk and
the Asterisk's are connected through IAX, so this looks like this:

Phone1 --- Siemens PBX --- Asterisk --- (IAX) --- Asterisk --- Siemens PBX --- Phone2

Now, when Phone1 calls Phone2 all wents well until there is silence - then the line seems to be death.

My users wanted to have some Comfort Noise. The question is, how do I generate this comfort noise, and at which point? On Goolge I found some hints, that comfort noise generation is a phone feature (regarding VoIP phones). But our phones aren't SIP or other VoIP phones but normal Siemens Optiset phones, and they can't generate comfort noise.

I suspect that I must generate the comfort noise in the VoIP part of the connection, more precisely, in iax.conf.

Any suggestions or hints?

Regards,
Henry