[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 1.0.9 long term stability <--thread hijack, why not reboot?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Sep 15 07:30:08 MST 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 12:34, Colin Anderson wrote:
> I'm curious as to this obsession with uptime is. All of the posts of this
> type are along the lines of "After X days, Y thing does not work but if I
> reload or reboot, it's OK" - so why not cron a reboot? Is it considered bad
> form or something like that? I reboot every night whether it is needed or
> not, not afraid to admit it, and everything works fine for me.

Rebooting indicates that there is a problem that needs to be addressed.  It
has nothing to do with uptime wars but with reliability and stability.  I
don't care if the system's down for 3 minutes due to reboot, I am concerned
that there is an underlying issue that you're merely masking by rebooting.

> We also do the "Sunday reboot" of all of our Windows servers as well as
> restarting all of the critical services such as IIS , SQL, Exchange etc
> nightly. It helps, a lot (Exchange is a notorious memory leaker)

Exactly.  With closed-source proprietary applications you can't fix the
problem so this is all you can do.  With Asterisk and OSS you can fix it and
increase code quality.

Would you accept the need for a weekly reboot of your Nortel Option 11?  How
about if your car required you to remove the battery for two minutes once a
month?  Your VCR?  How about a clock radio that had to be unplugged once a
week to fix weird little issues?

I put Asterisk into the same class as these kinds of devices.  They must be up
and stay up.  If they need to be rebooted then there's an issue that needs to
be addressed and corrected.

> I've also heard it said, something along the lines of: "If you have to
> reboot, your server isn't set up correctly" to which I say piffle. Even
> NASA has rebooted the Mars probes after they land and I understand that
> they run VXWorks, incidentally, the same RTOS that my Mitel 3300 uses, and
> *even Mitel* recommends periodic reboots, which we duly cron every night, 2
> AM.

Hmm, I guess I won't be buying any Mitel equipment.  The MARS rovers were
designed to be totally shut down as a last measure to ensure everything is
starting up as they'd simulated on Earth and that there was no high-energy
radiation glitches due to space travel.

-A.