[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 1.0.9 long term stability <--thread hijack, why not reboot?

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Thu Sep 15 08:38:37 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>Hmm, I guess I won't be buying any Mitel equipment.  The MARS rovers were
>designed to be totally shut down as a last measure to ensure everything is
>starting up as they'd simulated on Earth and that there was no high-energy
>radiation glitches due to space travel.

They designed it to be shut down. I guess that means it doesn't  just
roll over like a dead cow.

You wouldn't design a crane controller so that it releases the load on
reboot and then tries to return the cable to the pre-reboot position.
The same principle applies here. If it's mission-critical, you might
have to spend more on the hardware. A good example would be crosspoint
switch modules that don't change state when the system is rebooted. That
would prevent calls from being dropped as long as you don't design your
system software to explicity clear all those modules at startup.

I did hardware and software design for some devices that were usually
placed in very remote areas(underwater, mountains, arctic are a few). We
used a very low power clock device that would boot the cpu up. We did
whatever needed to be done, set the clock registers for the next wakeup
and shut down again. There were other ways to approach the problem, but
this approach made coding easier, used less power and allowed us to get
more functionality without increasing rom or ram size. If you only
needed to take one simple measurement and store it to the ram, you could
do a boot/run/shutoff every second and still achieve some additional
battery runtime.