[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 1.0.9 long term stability <--threadhijack, why not reboot?

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Wed Sep 14 18:58:03 MST 2005

canuck15 wrote:

>Just my opinions but....
>
>A PBX should not require reboots EVER.  Traditional proprietary PBX's don't require reboots and if Asterisk does then it has problems and is not ready to be a viable alternative IMHO.
>
>I am sure that some people will say they know of some proprietary PBX's that do require reboots.  My response would be that my 'expectation' for ANY PBX and even servers in general is NO REBOOTS.  I don't think that is unreasonable.

Your are 100% correct, of course.
Subscriber telephone systems that are properly designed, even
inexpensive ones, never need  a reboot.
In 25 or more years of working  on and around business telephone
systems, I have only found ONE that ever even remotely had such a
requirement. If the mains power dipped low enough for just the right
amount of time, the Power On Reset circuitry wouldn't  do its job, and
the CPU would be insane. At one point there was even a device that
looked like a surge suppressor that would keep the mains power off for
15-30 seconds to overcome this and other potential problems that can
come with summer storms.

There are MANY other reasons that make Asterisk not yet ready for prime
time, but that is a discussion that can wait for another time.

John Novack