[Asterisk-Users] STUN vs NAT Helper

Waldo Rubinstein waldo at trianet.net
Wed Sep 14 05:51:34 MST 2005

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend one over the other. I'm mostly
interested in running open source solutions, so I would prefer if
your recommendations are within the open source arena.

Basically, I contemplated the idea of using SER as a NAT Helper and
possibly as a SIP server for a portion of our user base. We prefer to
have Asterisk in the mix because of the additional wealth of features
it can add to the SIP services (e.g. voicemail, ivr, call queueing,
etc).

All of our clients are behind NATs, mainly basic NATs such as linksys
routers behind DSL modems.

I read on the wiki that STUN is not readily supported by most
clients, so I don't know if its worth the effort or if we should just
concentrate on getting SER working with Asterisk.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Waldo