[Asterisk-Users] STUN vs NAT Helper

Derek Conniffe derek at rivertower.ie
Wed Sep 14 06:49:41 MST 2005

I think STUN is quite widely supported by hardphones.  I'd be interested
to know if STUN is a magic fix to SIP & NAT - I've a feeling that its not.

Derek

Waldo Rubinstein wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone can recommend one over the other. I'm mostly
> interested in running open source solutions, so I would prefer if
> your recommendations are within the open source arena.
>
> Basically, I contemplated the idea of using SER as a NAT Helper and
> possibly as a SIP server for a portion of our user base. We prefer to
> have Asterisk in the mix because of the additional wealth of features
> it can add to the SIP services (e.g. voicemail, ivr, call queueing,
> etc).
>
> All of our clients are behind NATs, mainly basic NATs such as linksys
> routers behind DSL modems.
>
> I read on the wiki that STUN is not readily supported by most
> clients, so I don't know if its worth the effort or if we should just
> concentrate on getting SER working with Asterisk.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Waldo

Derek Conniffe
Rivertower Ltd
Ireland: (Freephone) 1800 719 400
Ireland: (Local) 01 244 9719
United Kingdom: 0870 068 2368
International: 00 353 1 244 9719
Derek Conniffe DDI: 01 201 0146 (International: 00 353 1 201 0146)
Derek Conniffe Mobile: 086 856 3823 (International: 00 353 86 856 3823)
Fax: 01 201 0085 (International: 00 353 1 201 0085)
Email: Derek at rivertower.ie
Web: http://www.rivertowerhosting.com