[Asterisk-Users] CallerID Name in dialplan

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Mon Sep 12 16:38:06 MST 2005

>  If what you are asking is that the phone you are calling from displays
> 'Voice Mail' when ext 1000 is dialed then that is a function of the
> phone NOT of asterisk.

That is incorrect.  This feature is quite common on business phone systems
such as the Meridian.  On the calling phone, dialing an extension or number
for which there is an internal directory entry in the PBX will result in
the related name being displayed on the phone initiating the call.

This is very handy because if you dial "3264" instead of "3624", you get
instant visual feedback that you've called the wrong extension and you can
terminate the call or whatever.

Due to the size of most larger deployments, expecting the phone's built-in
directory to handle this is probably ... unreasonable.

I believe someone mentioned that there was some work to define this sort
of functionality for SIP in the RFC's, but I don't recall for sure.

... JG