[Asterisk-Users] Channalized T1 and PRI with Asterisk

Michael D Schelin mike at shelcomm.com
Mon Sep 5 14:38:57 MST 2005

Is a non-PRI T1 significantly harder to configure with Asterisk?

I don't think so. I moved to SS7 signaling and convert down to other
formats. I've used CAS signaling for years and it has worked just fine.
But not with Asterisk.  Remember That CAS signaling is an inband format
and requires more processing to set up a call.  PRI signaling (out of
band) is used now more often because it's easy to set up not just in
Asterisk but at the CO. There is less for to go wrong for a Telco. Most
of them have moved away from the older signaling formats for that
reason. If you just can't live with 23 channels and you need the 24th.
and  your Telco is willing to give you CAS signaling  then go with it.
My old set up is E&M, DTMF,Wink,Origination 7 digits.  Some telcos will
not out pulse in DTMF.  I don't know if Asterisk will accept MF. Like I
said If you can get PRI then get it so you don't have this mess.

Ben Brown wrote:

> So the only difference with PRI is caller ID? What I am trying to
> determine is if the PRI has enough advantages to give up the voice
> channel used by the D channel. For what I am doing, caller ID is not
> necessarily that important for my application.
>
> Is a non-PRI T1 significantly harder to configure with Asterisk?
>
> Can Asterisk choose the context based upon the CallerID with a PRI?
>
> Thanks for your reply
>
> BEN
>
> Michael D Schelin wrote:
>
>> Go T1 with PRI signaling. Farming and line coding is for all T1's.
>> We use ESF (extended super frame) B8ZS ( I forget B8ZS stands for but
>> it's a newer line coding) . If you have it avaible to you, Signaling
>> type should be PRI.  The rest of your numbers 4-7 are in the PRI
>> signaling. No sound differences in digital. Caller ID is very
>> important. PRI signaling is very easy to set up with Asterisk. Ben
>> Brown wrote:
>>
>>> Preparing to order a T1 (not PRI) for our asterisk box. The telco
>>> has offered me several options that I am not sure of. Which would be
>>> best for use with asterisk? The box has the Digium card in it, BTW.
>>>
>>> 1. Dial Tone - No, Yes - Precise, Yes - SCC
>>> 2. Framing - SF, ESF
>>> 3. Line Coding - AMI, B8ZS
>>> 4. Signaling Type - Ground Start, E&M, Loop Start w/Ring, Loop Start
>>> w/o Ring
>>> 5. Pulse Mode - DTMF, MF
>>> 6. Outpulse Start - Wink, Immediate, Seizure