[Asterisk-Users] Re: ztdummy and Linux 2.6.13-rc7

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 02:14:57 MST 2005

In article <431B8F50.3040503 at drdos.info>,
Doug Lytle <support at drdos.info> wrote:

> Tony Mountifield wrote:
>
> >In article <43121C89.9090702 at drdos.info>,
> >Doug Lytle <support at drdos.info> wrote:
> >

> >>Anybody having issues with ztdummy under the current 2.6 RC7?  I get the
> >>following errors when trying to modprobe ztdummy:
> >>
> >>"Unable to register zaptel rtc driver"
> >>
> >>Doing a Google on the error shows reference to a message from 2004 that
> >>said you might not have RTC compiled into the kernel.  Checking via:
> >>
> >>cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.13-rc7
> >>grep -i rtc .config
> >>
> >>shows:
> >>
> >>CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
> >>CONFIG_RTC=m
> >>CONFIG_GEN_RTC=m
> >>CONFIG_GEN_RTC_X=y
> >>CONFIG_HPET_RTC_IRQ=y
> >>CONFIG_SENSORS_RTC8564=m
> >>CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=m
> >>

> >>Any suggestions?
> >
> >rtc and genrtc are alternatives to each other.
> >
> >Make sure that the rtc module is loaded, and *not* genrtc.
> >
> >ztdummy is not compatible with genrtc, only with rtc.
>
> I had time tonight to try this.  Under Linux 2.6.13 final.  Looking at
> make menuconfig shows that both Generic /dev/rtc emulation and Enhanced
> Real Time Clock support
>
> Removing one and enabling the other, compiling and recompiling zaptel:
>
> make clean;make linux26 make install (udev rules in place)
>
> I am unable to do a modprobe ztdummy without the above error.  Any
> others running Linux 2.6.13 and successfully using ztdummy for timing?

There was nothing wrong with the original kernel config, as both rtc and
genrtc were set to be compiled as modules.

What you need to do is find where the system is deciding to load genrtc
and make it load rtc instead. Failing that, before loading zaptel and
ztdummy, do "modprobe -r genrtc" followed by "modprobe rtc".

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield