[Asterisk-Users] /etc/init.d/asterisk barfing

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Thu Sep 1 12:14:21 MST 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 09:13:36AM -0600, Rich Adamson wrote:
> Not sure this applies, but there does seem to be a problem in the
> zaptel area that also impacts "service..." command. If I kill asterisk

Do you manually kill the asterisk process? If so: what happens with the
pid files and lock files?

> and try 'service zaptel stop', it now fails consistently as its
> unable to stop 'ztdynamic' (leaving zaptel still running since it
> can't unload).

Why would you want to "stop zaptel" exactly?

Zaptel is not some daemon like Asterisk. That init.d script
loads/unloads some kernel modules. Normally there should be no reason to
unload them.

> However, 'service zaptel start' does succeed on my
> FC3 cvs-head (from Aug 25th) and one TDM card installed.

Any chace Asterisk is actually still alive and prevents the kernel
modules from cleanly shuting down?

The Debian init.d in the contrib directory is far from being robust