[Asterisk-Users] /etc/init.d/asterisk barfing

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Sep 1 13:29:17 MST 2005

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 09:13:36AM -0600, Rich Adamson wrote:
> > Not sure this applies, but there does seem to be a problem in the
> > zaptel area that also impacts "service..." command. If I kill asterisk
>
> Do you manually kill the asterisk process? If so: what happens with the
> pid files and lock files?

Normally, do a stop now from the CLI, then 'service zaptel stop' to
unload the zaptel stuff.

> > and try 'service zaptel stop', it now fails consistently as its
> > unable to stop 'ztdynamic' (leaving zaptel still running since it
> > can't unload).
>
> Why would you want to "stop zaptel" exactly?

To install/run new zaptel and associated drivers after a cvs update.

Also, have had to do the above in the past due to instability of the
TDM04b card. Since updating the TDM card to rev I, that issue seems
to have been put to bed.

> Zaptel is not some daemon like Asterisk. That init.d script
> loads/unloads some kernel modules. Normally there should be no reason to
> unload them.
>
> > However, 'service zaptel start' does succeed on my
> > FC3 cvs-head (from Aug 25th) and one TDM card installed.
>
> Any chace Asterisk is actually still alive and prevents the kernel
> modules from cleanly shuting down?

Nope. check with ps. The 'service zaptel stop/start' had been working
just fine for maybe a year or more. The issue now seems to be related
to ztdynamic getting into the picture, and that cannot be stopped or
rmmod ztdynamic.

> The Debian init.d in the contrib directory is far from being robust

The above is on a FC3 box that has been very stable.