[Asterisk-Users] Mediatrix Gateways

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Oct 28 20:25:50 MST 2005

> Was wondering if anyone has used any other gateways with Asterisk.
>
> Such as AudioCodec or Mediatrix.
>
> I would like to set Mediatrix Gateways at my remote sites with an Asterisk
> Server at my head end and have the calls forwarded to the appropriate
> gateways for terminations.
>
> Questions I have is:
>
> Do the Sip Phones at my remote Ends actually register with the gateways or
> do they still register to my Asterisk Sip Server. Then the SIP Server will
> route the calls to the appropriate gateway.
>
> Do these gateways work with the Asterisk Servers.
>
> Please let me know if anyone has ever dealt with this before.

Based on tests that I did over a year ago with the Mediatrix, I'd be very
careful using it without a firewall. At that time, it could only be configured
with SNMP and you could not change the community string. Therefore anyone
on the internet could access/change config parameters.

The Mediatrix 1204 did not make use of the register function at all. It
must be statically configured to point to asterisk. Same on the asterisk
side; asterisk had to be statically configured (no register) to point to
the Mediatrix.

To route a call to a specific port on the Mediatrix (eg, port 3), you have to
do strange things (like pass callerid of 3333 to the Mediatrix, which is then
programmed to route any call with callerid of 3333 to port 3).

Audio quality was very solid; no echo at all. Ongoing support is an issue as
they want to charge $$$ for each firmware release. Support is based only on
what the reseller of the box can offer; Mediatrix did not have any form of
end user support.

They have likely upgraded their firmware, so best check to see if the above
is still accurate.