[Asterisk-Users] Question on callingpres and blocked numbers

Dave Grey lydanynom at mac.com
Wed Oct 26 22:07:31 MST 2005

On Oct 26, 2005, at 10:31 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Matt wrote:
>

>> For instance, when someone blocks their number it comes into our
>> system with the block flag (across PRI).   It is then passed on to
>> the
>> ATA as blocked.   Is it legal for me to set the flag back to
>> "unblock"
>> the call?  (I realize no one here is probably a lawer but was just
>> curious to see what others thought).
>>

> If you are covered by common carrier legislation in your
> municipality, then yes, this is illegal, and you can be held liable
> for any damage you may cause by disclosing this information. (Woman
> calls home from shelter to talk to children, abusive husband finds
> out where she is, bad things ensue (this has really happened))
>
> If you are not currently covered (presumably because the
> legislation hasn't caught up to VOIP providers being in existence),
> then you should still act as though you are covered, since you are
> purchasing wholesale service. If you are purchasing _retail_
> service and your upstream carrier is not removing the blocked CLID/
> CNAM before it reaches your PRI, then they are in error and you
> should notify them immediately.

I found this pretty interesting -- I didn't know that when you
blocked CID with *67 or per-line blocking that it went anywhere at
all.  Apparently, IPKall (who I am using for DID) is doing this
"unblocking."  I tested a couple of different numbers (A cellphone on
a network in Illinois and a POTS line on Verizon in PA) and IPKall
sent me the number for both even though *67 was dialed.  The
cellphone, belonging to a friend, also has per-line blocking enabled.

Can anyone offer some more info on how of this works, or a pointer to
some good documentation?

lyd