[Asterisk-Users] Question on callingpres and blocked numbers

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Oct 26 19:31:17 MST 2005

Matt wrote:

> For instance, when someone blocks their number it comes into our
> system with the block flag (across PRI).   It is then passed on to the
> ATA as blocked.   Is it legal for me to set the flag back to "unblock"
> the call?  (I realize no one here is probably a lawer but was just
> curious to see what others thought).

If you are covered by common carrier legislation in your municipality,
then yes, this is illegal, and you can be held liable for any damage you
may cause by disclosing this information. (Woman calls home from shelter
to talk to children, abusive husband finds out where she is, bad things
ensue (this has really happened))

If you are not currently covered (presumably because the legislation
hasn't caught up to VOIP providers being in existence), then you should
still act as though you are covered, since you are purchasing wholesale
service. If you are purchasing _retail_ service and your upstream
carrier is not removing the blocked CLID/CNAM before it reaches your
PRI, then they are in error and you should notify them immediately.