[Asterisk-Users] You ASKED for an Asterisk book, you GOT an Asterisk book!

Leif Madsen asterisk.leif.madsen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 22:00:54 MST 2005

On 10/24/05, trixter aka Bret McDanel <trixter at 0xdecafbad.com> wrote:
> I dont know who has access to post blog entries at creativecommons.org
> but Glenn Otis Brown wrote in support of repackaging saying it helps the
> original author (in his example songwriters).
> http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/3729
>
> Now, there is a clause that applies to you (Lief) specifically in the
> license.
> "Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from the
> copyright holder."
>
> Unless that was assigned to orielly, which is may be the case.

You are correct -- copyright is held by O'Reilly Media Inc.

However, I was basically just erring on the side of caution --
re-distribution of the works is permitted (this is why we are allowed
to have so many mirrors!). I would assume repackaging of the work
would be considered part of the "redistribution" aspect of that
allowance.

And this should be why I am allowed to create a single PDF of the file
to be distributed to our mirrors (which btw, I have done, so once the
mirrors are updated, you will be able to get the file in a single PDF
as opposed to multiple, individual chapters).

Hope that makes everyone happy :)

--
Leif Madsen - http://www.leifmadsen.com
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/asterisk