[Asterisk-Users] You ASKED for an Asterisk book, you GOT an Asterisk book!

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Oct 23 21:47:26 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 00:18 -0400, Leif Madsen wrote:
> The problem here is that you CAN'T make derivitive works. I think you
> have the wrong license (however I can't verify since I can't get to
> the Creative Commons website right now). There is no derivitive works
> allowed of the book (and no commercial works either).

Hmm..  well creative commons forbids commercial works being made from
anything protected under it.  So that part at least is the same.

The license linked to from
http://www.asteriskdocs.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=11 is
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/ca/
so that is a slightly different license.

The creativecommons.org page does state:
Your fair use and other rights are in no way affected by the above.

And I believe it is highly regarded as fair use (although I dont have
legal cites I think its certainly within the spirit of the creative
commons doctrine to allow repackaging).

I dont know who has access to post blog entries at creativecommons.org
but Glenn Otis Brown wrote in support of repackaging saying it helps the
original author (in his example songwriters).

Now, there is a clause that applies to you (Lief) specifically in the
license.
"Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from the
copyright holder."

Unless that was assigned to orielly, which is may be the case.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378