[Asterisk-Users] You ASKED for an Asterisk book, you GOT an Asterisk book!

Leif Madsen asterisk.leif.madsen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 21:18:49 MST 2005

On 10/24/05, trixter aka Bret McDanel <trixter at 0xdecafbad.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 23:57 -0400, Leif Madsen wrote:
> > On 10/20/05, Darrick Hartman <dhartman at djhsolutions.com> wrote:
> > > Is there any reason why the book wasn't released as a single pdf rather
> > > than the individual chapter pdf's?  Using pdftk, I merged the pdfs back
> > > into a single document (11mb), then zipped it back up.  Is there any
> > > restriction that would prevent me from mirroring this as a complete pdf
> > > rather than individual pdfs?
> >
> > Hrmmm... that is a good question, because I guess technically you're
> > not changing it. However, for now, lets just leave it as be. Perhaps
> > tomorrow I will speak with Jared and the people providing the mirrors
> > and ask them to update the file with the PDF after I have merged it.
>
> As it is under the creative commons license it would be those terms that
> would limit what you can and cannot do.
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/legalcode
> You are free to make derivative works, however it requires you to
> release under the creative commons license any such works.  So whether
> repackaging it is deemed to be a derrative work or not you are free to
> do that.  If its not deemed a derrative work then there wouldnt be a
> problem either.
>
> Repackaging shouldnt really be covered as derrative work anyway because
> it doesnt change the content which is what is protected, not the
> packaging method.  So long as the content is 100% the same you dont have
> to do anything, but if you do change the content (adding, removing,
> correcting, etc) then you have to rerelease it as creative commons,
> which it sounds like you wanted to keep it the same anyway so that isnt
> an issue.

The problem here is that you CAN'T make derivitive works. I think you
have the wrong license (however I can't verify since I can't get to
the Creative Commons website right now). There is no derivitive works
allowed of the book (and no commercial works either).

However, I do agree that repackaging it as a single PDF probably
doesn't constitute a change, and thus is fine as long as the original
work is unaltered 100%.

Either way, I'm going to go and spend a few minutes now and repackage
the PDF for y'all :)

--
Leif Madsen - http://www.leifmadsen.com
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/asterisk