[Asterisk-Users] Can someone please explain caller line identification

Howard Lowndes lannet at lannet.com.au
Wed Oct 19 17:09:01 MST 2005

This is not a newbie question, and my problem may be related to
Australia only or may be wider based.

I have a PSTN line that has Caller ID presentation enabled.

It used to work fine until recently, in as much as I could identify
inbound CLID.

There is/was a patch to * that suggested that in /channels/chan_zap.c
the variable DEFAULT_CIDRINGS should be changed from 1 to 2 to suit
Australian conditions and I had this done and everything worked.

Recently I upgraded my kernel from 2.6.12 to 2.6.13 and did a clean
recompile of * to suit, and to get the updated modules.  BTW, * is
CVS-HEAD of about 15 Sept.

Since I recompiled * I have lost inbound CLID recognition but have
gained the distinctive ring recognition ability which I previously
didn't have.

I still have the Australian mod in the chan_zap.c file, but I now note
that the documentation indicates that this variable only applies to
outbound CLID and not inbound CLID, or that is how I am reading the comment:
/* Typically, how many rings before we should send Caller*ID */
/* #define DEFAULT_CIDRINGS 1
    this needs to be set to 2 for Australia */
#define DEFAULT_CIDRINGS 2

[the 3rd & 4th lines are my mod and are not in the original code]

I also have a Wait(2) at the start of the relevant amswering dial plan
as also recommended.

I am not sure how CLID works technically, and the callerid.c code
appears somewhat esoteric, so I would appreciate any assistance, esp
from an Australian connection who has got inbound CLID working.

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people <http://lannet.com.au>