[Asterisk-Users] Can someone please explain caller line identification

Brian May bam at snoopy.apana.org.au
Wed Oct 19 20:31:19 MST 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 10:09:01AM +1000, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> There is/was a patch to * that suggested that in /channels/chan_zap.c
> the variable DEFAULT_CIDRINGS should be changed from 1 to 2 to suit
> Australian conditions and I had this done and everything worked.

Sorry, this probably won't help you...

However, I don't think you need to change the source code, I think
you can do the same thing by setting:

sendcalleridafter=2

in /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf.

At least this works for me.

> Since I recompiled * I have lost inbound CLID recognition but have
> gained the distinctive ring recognition ability which I previously
> didn't have.

I would speculate that distinctive ring recognition broke CLID.

> I also have a Wait(2) at the start of the relevant amswering dial plan
> as also recommended.

I have found I don't need this. The extension file does not appear to be
processed until caller-id is established. This would just add extra
delay the caller must wait until the phones start ringing.

In fact,if you enable callerid without callerid support on the telephone
line, I noticed the phones will ring 2+ times before asterisk will
detect it - as it is looking for callerid information that isn't there.

So I am curious - how long is it from when the phone line starts ringing
to when asterisk detects the call?

I have only had some minor issues with callerid and related stuff:

* on one phone it now indicates all phone calls are "OUT OF AREA".
The phone number appears OK. I can't work out where this message comes
from.

* one another cordless phone system, it registers when there is a
message waiting, but it never resets back to no message waiting, even
after the message has been deleted. (Note this is using a Sipura POTS
adaptor).

I have:

└─(13:21!505:%)── dpkg -l asterisk
──(Thu,Oct20)─┘

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)