[Asterisk-Users] huge problem compiling * on gcc4.x (SUSE 10.0)

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Tue Oct 18 12:16:22 MST 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 09:10:38AM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen said:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 07:01:17PM -0400, Walt Reed wrote:
> > I was unable to get a clean compile of the kernel or * with gcc 4.
>
> You can ask about this in Debian lists. I don't have unstable so I can't
> test for myself, but the current unstable kernel surely builds for them.

Sure, but it depends on which compiler they use... They may not use 4 on
the kernel.  In fact, I'm pretty sure they don't. The version of the
kernel I was compiling is the version WITH debian patches (latest.) And
it surely does not compile with gcc 4.

> As for Asterisk 1.2: It should hit experimental any day now. There are
> also unofficial debs at http://rapid.dotsrc.org/experimental/ . If those
> don't build with gcc 4 then this should be reported. Most gcc 4
> incompatibility bugs I saw were fixed pretty fast.

The incompatabilities are going to be kernel compiled with one version
of GCC, zaptel module compiled with another. That, even if it appears to
work, is not a good idea.