[Asterisk-Users] huge problem compiling * on gcc4.x (SUSE 10.0)

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Tue Oct 18 00:10:38 MST 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 07:01:17PM -0400, Walt Reed wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 09:21:09PM +0200, [Ludwig IT-Services - GMAIL ] - Michael Ludwig said:
> > I'm very new to this list and to asterisk and stuff at all.
> > To build my asterisk server I installed a new machine running the new
> > SUSE Linux 10.0 (retail version on DVD).
> > I need asterisk (tried 1.0.9), bristuff (off junghanns.net,
> > -0.2.0-RC8o) and the florz-patch because I have two HFC-S-ISDN cards
> > in that machine.
> > Now when it comes to compiling I get a huge bunch of warnings and
> > stuff, zaptel 1.0.9.2 fails to compile and asterisk 1.0.9 also fails
> > to compile.
> >
> > SUSE 10.0 uses gcc 4.0.2 and as I asked in some other mailing list and
> > forums, that is the reason why * stuff fails to compile.
> >
> > Is there any stable asterisk version available which does compile fine
> > on a gcc4.x ?
> >
> > If not, will the * source be changed to finely compile on gcc 4.x?
> > If yes, when will that be? (I need the * stuff now).
> > If not, why not?
> >
> > What's on with the 1.2.0-beta stuff out there on the asterisk.org webpages?
> > Does that one compile on gcc4.x ?
>

> I've been running a * (cvs HEAD) instance on Debian unstable, which has
> upgraded to gcc 4. Gcc 4 still has problems compiling the kernel (as of
> 2.6.12) on debian, and you want to use the same version of the compiler
> on the zaptel modules that you do on the kernel.
>
> I was unable to get a clean compile of the kernel or * with gcc 4.

You can ask about this in Debian lists. I don't have unstable so I can't
test for myself, but the current unstable kernel surely builds for them.

As for Asterisk 1.2: It should hit experimental any day now. There are
also unofficial debs at http://rapid.dotsrc.org/experimental/ . If those
don't build with gcc 4 then this should be reported. Most gcc 4
incompatibility bugs I saw were fixed pretty fast.

Asterisk 1.0.9 and bristuff RC8l (the current package in unstable)
probably builds with gcc4. I'm not sure if it has the florz patch in it.