[Asterisk-Users] Busy not jumping n + 101 anymore

brett at websmyths.com brett at websmyths.com
Sat Oct 15 13:18:31 MST 2005

On 10/15/2005, "John Novack" <jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org> wrote:
>Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
>
>> Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>>> Care to tell us where?  I just checked my CVS HEAD copy of UPGRADE.txt.
>>

>> Sorry, it's in asterisk/configs/extensions.conf.sample
>
> Which isn't even produced if one doesn't  "make samples"
>
> What backwards thinking put the information there, and in addition
> changed the way jumps used to work as the default?
> If more time were spent on fixing things that were broken, and making
> the interface to the existing PSTN analog lines work smoother there
> might be more acceptance.
>
> JMO

Well - number 1 - it IS - CVS HEAD.

Next - I always run "make samples".  In the /etc/asterisk/ directory it
renames all your old config files that have changed to *.old.

So long as you don't stop and restart Asterisk - its fine.  Just diff the
two files and you get to see the differences.

Now that seems a 'funny' thing to do as you are thinking - heck ALL my
configs are 'different' - as are mine.  But I keep a subdirectory full
of MY config files (just in case) and I also keep a subdirectory full of
the LAST updates config files just to compare against.  After seeing
what's new - fixing MY config files - moving the NEW ones to the latest
subdirectory - moving MY config files back to the working directory -
THEN I restart Asterisk.

It's called system administration.  One day I'll set it up with a
script, but right now it isn't bad or too much work.  But I do update
almost everyday.

Brett