[Asterisk-Users] Perplexed - IAX trunk == jitterbuffer or no jitterbuffer

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Thu Oct 13 05:20:12 MST 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Jason Walker wrote:

> I have 4 * servers interconnected with IAX trunks. Three are on a local LAN,
> one is accessible over a VPN tunnel out of the office. The IAX peer status
> (iax2 show peers from the CLI) will sometimes show upwards of 300ms.
> Considering the lag and distance, I am not entirely surprised.
>
> Anyway - my question falls towards the jitterbuffer settings in the
> iax.conf.
>
> Should I or should I not? I seem to come across one document that says to do
> it to only find another document that says this is not the best option for
> my particular installation. So I am now perplexed.

Hi Jason,

You need to tell us which Asterisk version you are using.  In the 1.0
series, trunking and the jitter buffer won't work together - the trunking
process mangles frame timestamps in a way that the jitter buffer can't
handle.

In CVS-HEAD/1.2, you can optionally have trunked frames include extra
timestamp info so that the jitter buffer can still work.

Regards,
Steve