[Asterisk-Users] Perplexed - IAX trunk == jitterbuffer or no jitterbuffer

Jason Walker desktophero at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 23:33:23 MST 2005

I have 4 * servers interconnected with IAX trunks. Three are on a local LAN,
one is accessible over a VPN tunnel out of the office. The IAX peer status
(iax2 show peers from the CLI) will sometimes show upwards of 300ms.
Considering the lag and distance, I am not entirely surprised.

Anyway - my question falls towards the jitterbuffer settings in the
iax.conf.

Should I or should I not? I seem to come across one document that says to do
it to only find another document that says this is not the best option for
my particular installation. So I am now perplexed.

I did updated the MAX_TIMESTAMP_SKEW value in rtp.c to an increased value
(found that in one of the bug trackers) and then recompile. But the other
settings, let alone to use the jitterbuffer at all, is still a quandary.

These are the latest values I am using:

jitterbuffer=yes
dropcount=2
maxjitterbuffer=200
maxexcessbuffer=40
minexcessbuffer=5
jittershrinkrate=1

I have changed bandwidth and tos to maximize bandwidth and reliability. What
I end up with are calls that sound like the far end is in a helicopter. I
can only assume that the packets are ending up out of order. Or...?

Any help, assistance, guidance, and past experience is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Jason