[Asterisk-Users] Throroughly confused about SetCallerID

beonice beonice at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 14:37:04 MST 2005

Folks,

I've been trying to handle the problem where
blocked callerids appear as coming from
    asterisk <asterisk>
on the email notification, and the message
envelope simply doesn't say anything (does not
actually play the vm-unknown message).

So, following the tip provided by several
extensions.conf (the xx's are my DID, obviously:

exten => xxxxxxxxxxx,1,SetCallerID(<Unknown ID>);
exten => xxxxxxxxxxx,2,Goto(veeport_context,s,1);

Okay. This works find for BLOCKED callerids.
But the problem is that now all callerids are
being treated as blocked, not just the really
blocked ones!Help.

What I want to do is:
  For calls that don't have blocked caller id,
I want asterisk to do what it does normally: tell
me the call is from phonenumber xxxxxxxxxx
  For calls that have a blocked callerid, I want
asterisk to indicate that the callerid is unknown,
both in the email and in the message envelope on
the actual voicemail.

Is there any way to achieve both these phenomena?
I tried editing chan_sip.c to change the
default_callerid there, but that causes its own set of
problems.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Maya