[Asterisk-Users] Billing/SPA-841/CDR Log

Waldo Rubinstein waldo at trianet.net
Mon Oct 10 07:30:11 MST 2005

Hi list,

I have a couple of questions related to asterisk billing and the
generation of cdr logs. I've searched the wiki but have not found my
answers, hopefully you guys can help.

1) When are asterisk CDR logs _normally_ generated? When the call
arrives, when the call hangs up, or both? I have looked at the
records created and it seems to only generate it at the time the call
is hung up in order to write the call duration, etc, but I just want
to be sure.

2) If in fact it is the case that the CDR entry is written after the
call terminates, what would be the best place for me to intercept the
handler so that I can write my own CDR log? Because I only need to
log certain calls, I was thinking of doing something with FastAGI so
that only when certain calls terminate, I would write my custom CDR.

3) Related to the same theme (billing), I have a client who uses the
SPA-841. This phone, by default has two lines. When I only configure
Line 1, the phone still allows me to make/receive calls on Line 2.
For the purposes of billing, I could understand allowing my client
for two simultaneous conversations if s/he uses the call waiting
feature of Line 1. But by default and without configuring Line 2 on
the phone, the customer is able to, potentially, establish 4
simultaneous calls and I'm only billing for one account. Is there a
way to restrict the SPA-841 from Asterisk so that I don't depend on
Line 2 being disabled on the SPA-841 (which the client could always
change)?

4) Because this (item 3) has already happened to me, is there any
free tool out there that will allow me to parse the CDR logs in order
to determine the maximum number of simultaneous calls that a
particular SIP peer has made within a specific timeframe? That way, I
could potentially bill the client for 2 accounts instead of 1.

Thank you again,
Waldo