[Asterisk-Users] Re: www.openpbx.org

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 12:18:37 MST 2005

On 10/8/05, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:

> Tony Hoyle wrote:
>
> > No, since Asterisk requires that copyright be assigned to Digium for all
> > patches. Submitters to OpenPBX may be unwilling to do this, especially
> > since that's one of the main reasons for its existance...
>
> Please stop spreading misinformation. We have addressed this at least
> four times in the last six months on this list.
>
> Digium does NOT require copyright assignment for contributions to the
> Asterisk tree.
>
> Digium does require either that the code be public domain (unrestricted
> use), or that Digium be granted a license to reuse the code at our
> discretion (the disclaimer).

Being that Digium wants to be able to sell a commercial version, I don't see
how they could have been more accomodating then this. Digium can only put in
their commercial version what they themselves have written, or what others
have freely given them to use under the public domain. The only people that
would have a problem with this are the one that believe so strongly in the
GPL that it's the only license they will permit to be used for their
contributions.. They won't be happy unless everyone else does things their
way. They wouldn't be happy if asterisk was BSD or MIT licensed either.

Chris